It has a Board of nine (9) Directors elected by eleven (11) voting members comprising the six (6) Darwin Clubs, Katherine Rugby Union, Central Australian Rugby Union, East Arnhem Rugby Union, NT Schools Rugby Union and NT Rugby Referees.
Reporting to the Board is a Chief Executive Officer who in turn manages the organisation’s staff.
The NT Rugby Union Board set the broad strategic direction of the organisation through appropriate consultation with stakeholders.
This includes determining the organisation’s purpose, core values and the ethical framework as well as key objectives and performance measures.
- Appoint, direct, support professional development, evaluate the performance and determine the remuneration of the Chief Executive Officer
- Monitor the financial and non-financial performance of the organisation
- Ensure financial and non-financial risks are appropriately managed
- Ensure the organisation complies with all relevant laws, codes of conduct and appropriate standards of behaviour
- Provide an avenue for key stakeholder input into the strategic direction of the organisation.
Directors have a fiduciary duty to act in the interests of the members as a whole and not to represent individual constituents.
Thus, once elected a Director must cooperate independently in the interests of the organisation as a whole, free from undue influence.
The legal duties of individual Directors includes a requirement for Directors to:
- Act in good faith and for a proper purpose
- Exercise due care and diligence
- Ensure the organisation does not continue to carry on its business while insolvent
- Meet the requirements of various federal and state laws which directly impact on the organisation
- Adhere to the code of conduct specifying the behaviour expected of directors
- Disclose actual/potential conflicts of interest